KAAN 2018 Annual State Conference
Each fall KAAN hosts a statewide conference. The conference provides an opportunity for members to convene in one location to collaborate, learn and share information with members of the association.
We’re super excited about this year’s event – it will be KAAN’s 25th conference!
- July 10: call for proposals closes
- July 23: conference registration opens online
- August 31: last day to register for this year’s conference
KAAN 2018 Conference Program
Kansas State University
Registration & Breakfast
11:00 -11:50 a.m.
12:00-1:00 p.m. Lunch
Jackie is a retired educator who most notably served as Butler Community College’s president in El Dorado for two decades.
Besides serving as president of Butler Community College, Vietti has served as dean of instruction at Labette Community College and as Emporia State University’s interim president from June to December 2015.
She was also Kansas City Kansas Community College’s acting president from July 2017 to June 2018.
Explore This Year’s Breakout Sessions
Breakout Session I
- It’s Not About the Nail: Mapping, Managing, and Monitoring Change and Crisis Nick X. Dean/Thomas Dean, Kansas State University/Children’s Division, Dept. of Social Services-State of Missouri
- The Art of Advancement: Creating a Core Competency Based Career Ladder for Academic Advisors Ashley Thomas and Bradford Cunningham, Kansas State University
- Shocker Pathway: Addressing Transfer Shock Jenna Randall, Wichita State University
- It Takes a Village…Advising at Cloud County Community College-Geary County Campus Cynthia Lamberty, Taryn Cipra, & Kim Wagner, Cloud County Community College
- Avoiding a Catastrophe: Navigating the pitfalls of a split advising model and working with faculty advisors Jared Burton, Morgan Mathews, Becca McKenzie, Kate Bergman, Dr. Downi Griner, & Kathy Landwehr, Emporia State University
- Read more about the topics available in Breakout Session I
Breakout Session II
- Connecting Undecided/Exploratory Students to Majors & CareersKaytie Brozek and Angela Scott, Wichita State University
- Connecting with Military Affiliated Students: Part, Present, and FutureDominic Barnes and Fatima Jaghoori, Kansas State University
- Bridging Students’ Transitions between Institutions – Jump Start Program for Business Transfer Students Bente Janda/Miranda Cook, Kansas State University/University of Kansas
- Advising African American and Latinx Community College
Students: Impact on Retention and Persistence
Shawn Derritt, Kansas City Kansas Community College
- The Advisee’s Perspective
Jordan Kiehl & Miranda Moore, Kansas State University
- Read more about the topics available in Breakout Session II
Breakout Session III
- Coming Full Circle: First Generation College Graduates as Academic Advisors Kathy Lillich, Kansas State University
- Advising for DUMMIES Robert Pettay, Kansas State University
- Better Together! Advising Relationships Between 2-year and 4-year Institutions and their Impact on Student Success Beth Stuewe/J.D. Koons, Kansas State University/Highland Community College
Jenna Radtke, Fort Hays State University
- Cultivating New Student Professionals for Next Generation
Jessica Henault, Kansas State University
- Read more about the topics available in Breakout Session III
For KAAN rates, please book by August 10. When booking, indicate you are with KAAN.
Steering Committee Openings
At this year’s annual conference the following positions were up for election:
- Vice Chair
- Communications Coordinator
KAAN professional development awards provide current KAAN members the opportunity to seek funding to grow and expand as professionals. Review the guidelines regarding submitting an application for, and receiving, a professional development award.